Conversation

Database System Utility unable to connect to DB Server

(overview of excerpts from articles in conversation)

Newsgroup: elevatesoft.public.dbisam.clientserver

# Lines
wrote on 03-May-2012:

Hello Folks!
I have inherited a Delphi 5 project, that I need to move forward to Delphi XE2. I purchased DBISAM VCL Standard with Source Code and installed it into a fresh virtual machine with Delphi XE2. I then copied over the dbsrvr.ini from teh old Delphi 5 install (it includes a different port & encryption password), changed the settings of Database System Utility to try to connect on the different port. But when I now try to connect to the "remote server" on 127.0.0.1 via "Remote (Client/Server)" the label says "Remote (Client/Server) - Not available" and any attempt to choose the radio box "Remote (Client/Server)" will fail.
What do I need to do to get Database System Utility to connect remotely to the re-configured dbsrvr.exe?
Thanks for a short answer in advance.
Salut,

Mathias Burbach replied on 03-May-2012:

Mathias Burbach wrote:
  Hello Folks!
  I have inherited a Delphi 5 project, that I need to move forward to Delphi XE2. I purchased DBISAM VCL Standard with Source Code and installed it into a fresh virtual machine with Delphi XE2. I then copied over the dbsrvr.ini from teh old Delphi 5 install (it includes a different port & encryption password), changed the settings of Database System Utility to try to connect on the different port. But when I now try to connect to the "remote server" on 127.0.0.1 via "Remote (Client/Server)" the label says "Remote (Client/Server) - Not available" and any attempt to choose the radio box "Remote (Client/Server)" will fail. The login dialogue does not show up in order to connect to the "remote server".
  What do I need to do to get Database System Utility to connect remotely to the re-configured dbsrvr.exe?
  Thanks for a short answer in advance.

Raul replied on 03-May-2012:

Mathias,
  You need to go to the settings (File->Options->Remote tab) and enter the
  IP address for the server first (or use 127.0.0.1 if runnning on local
  machine)
  Raul

Mathias Burbach replied on 03-May-2012:

Hello Raul,
    thanks for your reply.
    Raul wrote:
    (snip)
That has been entered already (see attached screenshot).
    Other settings that have been activated in dbsrvr.ini are:

Raul replied on 03-May-2012:

Can you clarify the "remote" part - your DBSRVR is set to listen on the
      local loopback address (127.0.0.1) hence only way to connect to it is
      from the same machine (you would not be able to connect remotely).
      "Not available" usually indicates that dbsys could not connect to the
      server over IP.

Mathias Burbach replied on 04-May-2012:

Hello Raul,
        Thanks for your reply.
        Raul wrote:
        (snip)
Yes, I try to connect via 127.0.0.1 (see also attached screenshot of the Database System Utility settings).
        (snip)
I have installed the latest version of DBISAM into a new virtual machine. I just copied the DBSRVR.ini from the virtual machine running Delphi 5, so that my new development environment is as close as possible to how it was with Delphi 5.

I have removed the requirement to encrypt the communication (e.g. Encrypted Only=1 is now Encrypted Only=0) and the login dialogue appears. But I still cannot connect. If I try to connect with the Server Administration Utility I get the following error message:
          "Error retrieving server information - DBISAM Engine Error # 11276 The connection to the database server at '127.0.0.1' has been lost"
          Salut,
          Mathias

Next attempt:
            I have commented out all settings and started re-enabling them.
            With all settings disabled I could connect.
            I then enabled
            * Server Description=XXXX Database Server

Hello Folks!
              The case is solved. My predecessor compiled a customised version of dbsys with the encryption password in the FormCreate event. I tried to do the same but it failed due to missing PAS files such as dbisamut.pas & dbisamct.pas. I only have a "DBISAM VCL Standard with Source Code" license. I take it this means I can't compile the server or the utility tools either.
              Is there an upgrade path for my version to get to "DBISAM VCL Client-Server with Source Code"?
              Salut,
              Mathias

Roy Lambert replied on 04-May-2012:

Mathias
                (snip)
email ✉elevatesoft.com for the answer to that.
                Roy Lambert [Team Elevate]

Raul replied on 04-May-2012:

On 5/4/2012 6:27 AM, Mathias Burbach wrote:
                (snip)
You can't compile a new db server with the license you have.
                However, I would contact elevate support as i would think you should not
                have to buy the C/S source license just to recompile the dbsys
                Raul

Roy Lambert replied on 04-May-2012:

Raul
                  Good point, and there shouldn't be a need to contact Elevate either . The problem is one that's come up every now and again. The files needed should be in the utils\dbsys\source\ directory. They're not added into the IDE because they're not something Tim wanted to support.
                  Probably all that's needed is to set the path / add them into the project.
                  Roy Lambert [Team Elevate]

Raul replied on 04-May-2012:

Good point Roy.
                    I also recall dbsys used some custom components so one i think needs to
                    compile and install the custom package (again in utils source folder i
                    think) into IDE before you can compile dbsys.
                    There is also the issue of dbsys being compatible with D5 but Mathias

Tim Young [Elevate Software] replied on 20-Jun-2012:

Roy,
                    << Good point, and there shouldn't be a need to contact Elevate either .
                    The problem is one that's come up every now and again. The files needed
                    should be in the utils\dbsys\source\ directory. They're not added into the
                    IDE because they're not something Tim wanted to support. >>
FYI: Phrase searches are enclosed in either single or double quotes

Originally created by
Tamarack Associates
Tue, 21 May 2024 03:40:21 UTC
Copyright © 2009-2024
HREF Tools Corp.