Conversation

Serial Port Component?

(overview of excerpts from articles in conversation)

Newsgroup: embarcadero.public.cppbuilder.thirdpartytools

# Lines
wrote on 19-Jun-2010:

Hi All,
I have been using BCB6 and TurboPower Async Pro for almost ten years now. The majority of my programs require support for serial ports. Recently, I decided to upgrade to C++ Builder 2010. Much to my dismay, I then discovered that Async Pro does not work with CB 2010. My CB 2010 now sits collecting dust.
There seem to be several issues at play here. One is Unicode. Another is the that all the current supporters of Async Pro are Delphi guys. Another problem is that CB 2010, unlike BCB 6, does not compile Delphi packages. I don't understand all the details but it seems clear that Async Pro is a dead end for C++ Builder programmers.
I would like to know if there are other packages out there that are known to work with CB 2010, preferably ones that don't cost hundreds of dollars.
Also, does anyone know why, after all these years, Borland/Emvbarcadero has never provided serial support?

Rafael Ontivero replied on 19-Jun-2010:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:21:45 -0700, Bissett Daniel <> wrote:
  (snip)

That's a question that much other people does. The only people that
  uses CB instead of Visual C++ or GNU in the business sector I work are
  those related to hardware stuff that needs communicate with a PC, for
  example utilities to save configuration in boards and/or vending

Dennis Jones replied on 19-Jun-2010:

wrote in message news:✉forums.embarcadero.com...
  (snip)

That may be true, but only if you do not have RAD Studio, and only from
  within the IDE. You're not at a dead-end. CB2010 comes with a Delphi
  compiler, so it should be able to compile Delphi packages from the command
  line. I do not have CB2010, so I cannot confirm that 100%, but it seems

Bissett Daniel replied on 19-Jun-2010:

(snip)

What I did was to download the demo version of RAD Studio and install Async Pro. It compiled correctly and the components loaded into the Delphi IDE. However, I could do nothing to get the components loaded into the C++ Builder IDE. While the issue of CB2010 being able to compile Delphi code is an obstacle, it is not the only problem.
    I really don't want to be thought of as someone who throws stones at open source developers. They do a great deal of work and they do it without compensation. The Async Pro developers should be applauded for their efforts. A great number of Delphi users are dependent on and happy with their efforts. In spite of this, it is clear that their resources are too limited to support the C++ side.
    (snip)

If Embarcadero were to add the component to the releases, it would imply at least some level of commitment to assisting the open source developers. The packages would at least have to be kept up to date to work with with the current release. The current problem is that this has failed to happen on the C++ side. I think this would be great for the users but Embarcadero would have to decide if they have the time (spoken money) to make this commitment.
    My original question still stands; What can I use today?
    Daniel

Bissett Daniel replied on 19-Jun-2010:

(snip)

I work in broadcasting and television and spend my time getting different pieces of equipment to talk to each other. Believe me, serial communication is NOT dead.
    A public example of my work can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/hcp4sam/
    Rafael, thanks for your support..

Moritz Beutel replied on 19-Jun-2010:

Hello,
  Bissett Daniel wrote:
  (snip)

did you try to set the "Linker output" option for the Delphi compiler
  to "Generate all C++Builder files (including package libs)"?
  If you change that setting after the package was installed once, you'll

Rafael Ontivero replied on 20-Jun-2010:

Of course serial port is not dead!
  At least 80% of our products have a RS232 TTL based protocol (appart
  from more traditional based in parallel IO lines -not parallel port).
  And of course, USB is serial, SATA is serial, HDMI is serial...
  On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:57:12 -0700, Bissett Daniel <> wrote:

Malcolm Smith replied on 25-Jun-2010:

I use the TMS Async32 suite. Very reliable.
  --
  Malcolm Smith
  MJ Freelancing
  http://www.mjfreelancing.com

Erik Salaj replied on 05-Jul-2010:

(snip)

ComPort component supports CB 2010
  http://www.winsoft.sk/comport.htm
  erik salaj

Harry Sieber replied on 07-Sep-2010:

(snip)

I have the same problem as the OP. I am trying to install AsyncPro, which is now apparently available only in Delphi source format. I am using a trial version of RAD Studio XE. I can't figure how to start the Delphi compiler (or even if there is one as part of the program, despite the fact that the product description says there is). It's possible that I did the installation wrong but I don't recall any compiler choices there. If I try to compile with the IDE I get a 'missing Delphi.personality' message. I attempted the command line approach but the trial version doesn't seem to support command line compiling. I am completely at a loss. I will buy the Studio package if I can figure how to get this package installed- it's mandatory since my applications are serial/usb intensive.
    I am trying to upgrade from C++ Builder5 and AsyncPro 3, which has worked well in the past but is getting dated, plus when I try to use the 'build with run time packages' option I am now getting access violations for some reason. Any help would be most appreciated.
    I have also tried the ComPort utility from Winsoft as described in the previous post. All I really need is a com port object, no fax, TCP/IP, etc, so this tool would suffice in place of Async Pro. However, after installation, the ComPort item shows up checked in the 'install packages'->design packages window, but no trace of the ComPort item where it's supposed to be in the 'System' palette area of the tool box. I am probably doing something wrong, the IDE has changed a lot since C++Builder 5. I should also note that the first time I installed Comport, it apparently installed the tool in the earlier C++Builder 5 program (successfully I think, it showed up in the tool box). I then uninstalled version 5 and comport, re-installed comport, but still no comport tool in the toolbox in XE. Very frustrating, I've been stalled for days and any help would be a huge relief.
    Thanks,
    Harry

Erik Salaj replied on 09-May-2013:

(snip)

1. check, whether Winsoft ComPort Component package is enabled
      (menu Component/Install packages), try to switch off another
      ComPort components
      2. ComPort component could be placed on another component palette
      3. check, whether comportp.bpl package was created. Compilation

Oscar Bedoya replied on 01-Oct-2010:

Good Day !
  Anyone could to solve support for Builder XE?
  i am using COMPORT for builder C++ 6, and my old project couldn't had installed....:(
  I hope your help.
  best regards,

Andrew Thompson replied on 02-Nov-2010:

(snip)

Did you ever resolve this? think in similar position (BCB6 and async pro for god knows how long), and utterly annoyed to say the least that it's not in CB2010. Think i'm going back to my bcb6.....

Simon Quin replied on 16-Oct-2011:

Gents,
    I too found myself in the position of going on using CBuilder 6 and the free Turbopower serial port component for much longer than I expected. I had a couple of warnings about this cosy state of affairs. The first being that after getting XE I could not load the Turbopower component. I also could not load the Turbopower component into CBuilder 6 when installed on Windows 7 (my company is shortly to move to this OS). So I thought I should come up with a solution. I created a class in a thread which allows the creation of multiple COM ports in an application. There is a project here:
    http://www.thequins.org/downloads.html
    Which gives an example of a simple app with 2 COM ports. You will need to change the code for the COM ports on your PC. Once you have done this you can send a message by pressing the button. Just connect pins 2 & 3 on your serial port and you can stream data. Full source code is provided.
    I hope you find this of some assistance.

Jason Goff replied on 16-Oct-2011:

(snip)
You are entitled to download CB2007 which the best version for if you want to use the old definition of String/AnsiString.

Borja Serrano replied on 08-May-2013:

I get the free Comport Library working in C++ Builder using Moritz Beutel's suggestion.
  (snip)

Lena Ilicheva replied on 11-May-2013:

(snip)
http://dn.embarcadero.com/article/41301

Mike Knoblock replied on 10-Feb-2014:

(snip)

You may have found this document through Google searching as I did, but did you actually work through the process? The install in this doc does not work for C++ - the delphi compiler complains about missing files that are not in the zip package. There is no one to ask for help.
      I commiserate completely with everyone in this chain - I went from BCB5 with AsyncPro to Builder 2010 with no serial support. I went on building serial-based apps with BCB5, which is only delaying the inevitable problems.
      I will repeat the OP's plea, years later: has ANYONE successfully ported TP AsyncPro to Builder 2010 or later for C++? I am about to wrapper the serial stuff from BCB5 into a DLL that I can call from Builder 2010 out of desperation.

Alain Bastien replied on 04-Mar-2014:

Try http://www.deepsoftware.com

Mike Knoblock replied on 17-Apr-2014:

If anyone is interested, I took the AsyncPro serial component in my old Builder 5 IDE and wrappered its basic functionality into a DLL, which you can call from any Borland development environment. I have used it with C++ Builder successfully enough to deploy an application for a customer - this is single-threaded and uses only one comport.
          I can share the source code for this with anyone who is interested - just reply to this chain.

Reef Morse replied on 12-Jun-2014:

(snip)

OK. I'm replying. :-). Thanks for this!!!!! I've tried Comport and Deepsoft stuff to no avail. Sigh..

Mike Knoblock replied on 12-Jun-2014:

(snip)

Posted DLL and sample code to the attachments thread... I can send full source code if you have Builder 5 and want to tinker with it...

Mohammad Alsharif replied on 15-Jun-2014:

(snip)

I am working on C++ XE5 and I need to use the serial port, does your code work with it?
            Thanks in Advance

Mike Knoblock replied on 15-Jun-2014:

(snip)

I have used this in C++ Builder 2010 in RAD Studio successfully; it's a standard Borland DLL so you should have no problems - just use the sample code in the attachment.

(snip)

Thanks for your answer Mike. Just two things please, since I am new to these forums, where is the "attachment thread" from which I can download the code file?
                Also, could you please tell me briefly how to use it? just to download it or what?
                Your answers are highly appreciated
                Edited by: Mohammad Alsharif on Jun 15, 2014 9:24 AM
                Edited by: Mohammad Alsharif on Jun 15, 2014 9:25 AM

Mike Knoblock replied on 16-Jun-2014:

(snip)

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=105843&tstart=0
                  (snip)

Just place this DLL in the folder with your exe file. In your project, use LoadLibraryEx to load the DLL, then call OpenComport. Copy all this code from the sample CPP file "com_dll_test_main.cpp".
                  (snip)

Mohammad Alsharif replied on 20-Jun-2014:

Hi All,
                    I am using XE5 with the TMS Async32 suite that contains a serial port connection.
                    In my application, I need to show all available COM Ports in a ComboBox from which I can choose one, is there a such a method that finds available COM ports?
                    Thanks in advance

Charlie Kupelian replied on 08-Nov-2014:

(snip)

This works for me - It gets installed COM ports from the registry and puts them into a radiogroup.
                      Hope it helps.
                      // gets installed com ports from the registry - found this code in a news
                      // group. Modified it to fill in a specific radiogroup.
                      TRegistry *pReg = new TRegistry( KEY_READ );

(snip)

Could you explain me how you did it please?
    Thanks in advance.

(snip)

Hi Simon,
      Thanks for sharing your work. I am using C++ XE5, and when running your project I get this error:
      [bcc32 Error] EthernetThreadtestMain.cpp(8): E2209 Unable to open include file 'EnetThread.h'
      any idea?

Bruno Fierens replied on 23-Jun-2014:

You might have a look at TMS Async.
  http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/async32.asp
  --
  Kind regards,
  Bruno Fierens
FYI: Phrase searches are enclosed in either single or double quotes

Originally created by
Tamarack Associates
Mon, 20 May 2024 14:40:35 UTC
Copyright © 2009-2024