Toggle Color Scheme Here
- Two separate color schemes were
introduced on 25-July-2012, thanks in great part
One color scheme is suited for people with normal vision and the other is for people with deuteranomoly.
Approximately 5% of men have this form of color blindness, and 1% of women do as well.
About the Newsgroup Database
- Total News Servers: 63 (see list of active newsgroup servers)
- Total Newsgroups: 2,099
- Threads: 1,793,422
- Authors: 466,638
- Articles: 8,018,319
- First Article: 08-May-1997
- Last Article: 16-Dec-2019
- Article Database Size: more than 16GB
- Rubicon Index Size: 12,025,726 words indexed
- Data imported prior to 10-Dec-2011 was imported in Ansi. Now data
is processed using UTF-8. Over time, we hope to re-import some old articles.
About the Training Database
- The Code Rage Training Presentation Archive
database is hosted in Firebird 2.5.x on the same 64-bit machine that runs this web application. It is only 1.2gb in size.
- Article database:
Firebird SQL 2.5.5 on
CentOS v7, 64-bit.
As of 2-Jun-2014, the Firebird SQL pagesize is 8192 per excellent advice from IBAnalyst.
- Keyword index: NexusDB v4.0 64-bit
- Charset: UTF8. Try searching for ΠΉΔΗΣΕ or русски to be convinced that we are indexing more than just English here.
Software on Web Server
- OS: Microsoft Win2012 Server, 64-bit
- HTTP Server: Microsoft IIS 7
- FREE HTTPS Certificate: LetsEncrypt.org
- Configuration: XML via ZaphodsMap
- Web Application v220.127.116.11 
- Newsgroup article downloader written by Tamarack Associates,
updated by HREF Tools for Unicode support, with a custom NNTP (client) component.
- Article importer written by Tamarack Associates; updated by HREF Tools
- Indexing subsystem
- Rubicon v4.058
- NexusDB v4.0 compiled with Delphi 10.3.3 win64
- Web Server: 2x Intel Xeon; 8 gb RAM of which 1 is used for a RAM drive
- Primary Database Server: Dell 1950, 2x Intel Xeon 2GHz 2 cores; 4Gb RAM; RAID
- Bandwidth: T1 (5000 Kbps as of 25-Feb-2012)
- Many long-term
Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero developers use
XanaNews to download and
read newsgroups. XanaNews was written in Delphi and full source is available.
- For a complete list of Network News Transfer Protocol clients,
see wikipedia on Usenet_clients
Database Design / Tools
- User agent: CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)
- Remote IP: 18.104.22.168
- Considered to be a web robot: yes
- HREF Tools Corp. currently pays all costs associated with this site.
- If you would like to sponsor the site for a month, by all means, volunteer by contacting HREF Tools Corp.
There are always interesting Delphi programming tasks on the to-do list, and there are ongoing expenses.
- If you can spare a few seconds, remember to click on advertisements if you are remotely interested in the offer, that helps us too.
- HREF Tools recommends ServiceObjects.com for
real time email verification.